Work in the Schools (back to top)
I've been a School Board member since 2016 and currently serve as Board President. I've taken the lead on key issues:
- Identifying the potentially disastrous impact of the Stanford GUP (General Use Permit) on PAUSD's financial future. Our community rallied, and the result was a landmark agreement with Stanford, recognizing that they must make on-going payments if they house PAUSD students in tax-free housing.
- Changing our district office culture, where we replaced a majority of senior district leadership with a new, invigorated management team.
- Setting up new legal compliance and financial controls, to make sure we avoid the mistakes and scandals that have distracted us from our core mission of serving students.
- Committing to closing the achievement gap with transparency and accountability. We need to move beyond good intentions to actual results.
I've served on the Board's Property Committee (two years) and City/School Liaison Committee (three years), and helped strengthen our work with the City on the Cubberley Community Center. I championed our new 2018 School Bond (approved by 70% of voters) and our first-ever school board term limits (73% of voters).
Before the Board, I chaired the bond Citizens Oversight Committee. I'm proud that I was able to help save PAUSD taxpayers over $800 million in bond interest costs, and protect housing values in our community.
I also helped chair the District's Enrollment Management Advisory Committee (EMAC) that resolved long-standing issues around building new schools.
Family (back to top)
My wife Elisabeth and I have three children; all attended PAUSD schools. Our youngest has severe autism. Our experience with a special needs child gives me empathy and insight into this critical area of the District’s work.
My parents were educators, my mom a teacher and my dad a college professor. In my home growing up, teaching and learning were the most important things a person could do.
Community Activities (back to top)
- Palo Alto Girls Softball - board member and coach
- Gunn PTSA, Terman PTA - Executive Board
- School Bond Citizens Oversight Committee - Member/Chair
- DreamCatchers (Palo Alto) - board member (former)
- Ravenswood City School District (EPA) - broadcast partner
Professional Activities (back to top)
I'm an entrepreneur and investor. I've spent 20 years as an active board member in mid-sized organizations. I know how to be an effective board member - how to both challenge and support senior leaders, and focus on getting things done. You can learn more at my LinkedIn Page.